Monday, April 18, 2011

Working It

So I've been going to the gym with my husband for about a week now and its going ok.  I don't really have too much trouble working out, even for my size, like today was a cardio day and I do 30 mins on the elliptical, 15 on the bike and 15 on a treadmill and I keep up pace with people a third my size.  On weight lifting days I do a routine that actually a little harder then the one my husband does, with more cardio.  This leads me to get really discouraged when I start going to the gym because for some reason I'm one of those people that gains weight the first week and doesn't see any results for weeks on end.  I've got my calories down and math wise I am creating a calorie deficit of about 5 pounds each week, I should be loosing five pounds at least each week.  This week so far I've gained four.  It happens every single time I start working out at the gym, my husband says I should just not look at the scale for the next three months or so.  I've been down this road so many times that I'm trying not to get discouraged by it all.  I'm learning that my body is really resistant to change and I have hope in time it will work out, even if it makes zero sense to me now.

I've been trying to do some de-stressing things to help me get through this rough patch, I've stopped drinking soda of any kind, had been drinking diet soda, a lot for a long time.  I also listen to music more, doing that now actually, made my own channel on pandora about a year ago and it doesn't let me down. I drink a cup or two of coffee about twice a week, that's about all the caffeine I've been taking in and I think its helping.  I need sleep, I've had problems with insomnia off and on since I was a kid, its usually triggered by depression and that's always going to be something I have issues with.  Being overweight and feeling unhappy with myself doesn't help.  But I'm a work in progress and I'm actually doing the work, so here's hoping there's progress!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for going to the gym.. and getting your food down! Yay!

    I agree with your hubby. Stop looking at the scale if it's going to get you down. Have you done measurements? Sometimes that would be a better indication of your work. Since the end of February, I have lost more than 20 inches (including 4 1/2 off my waist), but not one pound. Which frustrates the crap out of me... but at least with the measurements, I know that something is working... which makes things a bit easier :)

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete