Thursday, January 6, 2011

I should have a few short term goals, right?

As I was swimming my way through my 16th or 17th lap in the pool today, I starting thinking that all my goals are my long term ones that I'm keeping to myself, for competition reasons.  Its not that I'm in a competition with any person officially, but between us we both have certain goals we'd like to meet before we see each other again in about 6 months, and neither of us will be too specific because we're both hoping to shock the other more.  So aside from that I haven't really thought about short term goals, like this month I'd like to loose X amount of pounds, or by the end of the month I'd like to swim X amount of laps in the 50 mins I swim.  I did 28 today for those of you paying attention which wasn't ideal but I didn't spend the whole swim session just doing laps, I also like to get in a bit of an aqua aerobics session. 

My problem with setting small term goals, and large ones, is that I have so much trouble meeting them that it tends to kill my motivation.  But its important to have attainable goals and to meet them because it helps keep you accountable to your weight loss journey, so here it goes, I'm going to set a few that I think should help
1.  I'd like to drink more water, for health, so by the end of the month I will be drinking at least 110 ounces of water per day
2.I will try my damnedest to lose 35 pounds by the end of the month, my first weigh in is Saturday so we'll see how far off track I am.
3. I'd like to be able to improve my lap times in the pool and be able to swim 40 laps in the pool within the next six weeks

There, goals set, they should all help each other in the process, it gives me something to work towards in the next few weeks, it takes my huge overall goal and gives me a number I can hopefully live with, which is also hard enough to keep me trying and hopefully keep me honest, we'll see how it goes! Good Luck to the rest of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment