Thursday, January 27, 2011

Doctor's next guess

So today I went to see my endocrinologist whom is still convinced that I'm insulin resistant and pre-diabetic even though they tested my sugars and everything came back fine.  He did finally talk me off the metformin that was making me sick to my stomach on a daily basis, for the time being.  Instead I now have to inject myself with victoza on a daily basis.  Its a drug for people who have diabetes and even though I don't he told me to just take it and disregard any of the instructions that deal with being diabetic, which is kind of all of them.  The grand plan is to eventually put me back on the metformin combined with the new stuff, yeah.  Did I mention I have to inject myself with a needle every day!

I guess it will be a good scare for me, going through the process of having to inject myself with something everyday in this instance should be temporary and if I stick to my weight loss plan and take care of myself I should be able to avoid ever getting type 2 diabetes and dealing with the possibility of daily insulin.  I don't have a problem with needles, I just feel a bit icky having to do it to myself, and yes icky is a technical term.

The weather here has been consistently terrible, it is winter, so I haven't been able to swim like I had wanted, I may still be able to go on Saturday so fingers crossed for that.  Today I shoveled snow for a different sort of work out, drank my usual amount of a ton of water and finished reading the 17 day diet.   We are thinking about starting it on February 1st.  The diet in the book was very similar to things like Dr. Phil's glycemic index diet, the south beach diet and other restrictive diets along the same lines of low-carb, low-fat, high protein diets.  There were some helpful things but I wouldn't have called it revolutionary as far as its message.  We'll be giving it a try and seeing if it works, I'll post our progress and if it seems to have some merit I'll put some of the meal plans and the basic gist of it here in my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad you're off the metformin - one of the main side effects is WEIGHT GAIN?!?!?
    (I rushed back to have words w/my groomer when I saw the bottle of medication in her purse - "What's your blood sugar?" but SHE was put on it as a fertility drug... She's disgusted bcz it immediately caused her to gain 25 lbs)

    Anyway, good luck - I know how you feel! I don't have a thyroid gland, have to regulate my metabolism w/lil' blue pills for 21 + yrs now, every ounce sticks to me like glue...

    ReplyDelete